“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why” – Mark Twain
The “why” is our purpose in life, the things we love to do and what we are passionate about. What is the point of being born and then dying? Every individual has a purpose in life and something to contribute to the society. The most successful people in the world have achieved greatness because they have followed their passions and have made their dreams become a reality. They love what they do, that’s why they are successful. They feel motivated and inspired when they go to work. They have something to give back to the society instead of simply “going to work”. Below are the 5 things that will happen to you on your journey through the discovery of your passion:
1) You will fall in love: your passion is something that you love to such a degree, that you don’t even think about the things you’re missing out. You won’t even “wonder” anymore what to do during your free time. Your passion will occupy majority of your thoughts, it will fulfill your free time and the most interesting thing about it is that you won’t feel forced to do it because it’s a natural thing.
2) You will see that it’s not about the money: people who were able to create a profitable business around their passions did not do it because they wanted to be rich, but rather they were pursuing fulfillment. And the beauty of it is that once you do what you love and work hard on your dream, money will eventually start following you – it’s a great consequence of the process. You will commit so much of yourself to make your business/dream work out, that the result will be such a great work and you will be constantly looking for different ways to make it better and better – and that’s why money tends to follow you, because you truly enjoy what you are doing and there is passion involved on it.
3) You will understand the real meaning of ‘success’: thousands of self-help books on how to become successful are published year after year. Becoming a successful person means being truly happy about your life and the things you do during your day. It means having fun. Let’s say if your dream is to open a restaurant because you love cooking plus you are really talented for it and every time someone tells you “your food is amazing!” simply makes your day, then go for it! You don’t have money, then save it. You don’t time, then eliminate things that are not important for you. You don’t know how to run a business, then study, read books, network with people who have done it before – learn! Trust me, if you really want to make it happen, you will find a way regardless of your hardships. Your business may initially give you less money than your last job (boring job, by the way) but that will give a deep meaning to your life and a feeling of self-satisfaction. And, here’s the secret: if you are doing what you love, you will always find ways to improve your business, learn more about the industry and add value to your service/product. You will start transforming good work into great work. You will be above average. You will achieve greatness and success. Take a look at this short video of only 1min28sec where Steve Jobs explains the importance of being passionate about what you do.
4) You will stay out of comfort zone: pursuing your dream will challenge you in so many different ways. You will do things that you’ve never done before. You will experience failures. However, the most important thing is that you will learn a lot from your new actions and your new mindset. If you keep doing what everyone else is doing, you will get the same average results. If you do what others are afraid of, you will see things that you’ve never seen before. That’s the mindset of the most successful people in the world. They challenge the status quo because they believe in their dreams and, eventually, they turn their dreams into reality. Step out of your comfort zone – there is the place where the magic happens!
5) You won’t count the time: Why do you think that successful entrepreneurs are usually seen in the eyes of society as “hard workers” and we tend to think of them as the ones who work on weekends and for long hours? Well, in most of the cases this is totally true. However, they work hard because they truly love what they do and that’s why they don’t count the time. They sometimes even wish their days had more than 24 hours. They have fun at work. They enjoy the process of working on their dreams. They look forward to the next day.
The process of working on your dream is much more enjoyable than your regular 9-5 job that you don’t like, so if you don’t know yet what your passion is, don’t settle – keep looking for it day in and day out. Through this journey, learning will be guaranteed and success will be waiting for you. It is your actions that will determine how your future will look like. So, what’s your passion?
Article edited by Rachel Abitan